To help a patient relax during treatment, dentists commonly offer sedation dentistry services. This procedure dramatically helps in dealing with debilitating dental fear. One thing that is likely on your mind is the question, “how much does sedation dentistry cost?
What is Sedation Dentistry, and How Much Does Sedation Dentistry Cost?
Sedation dentistry refers to the use of anesthesia during dental treatment to put a patient at ease. Dentists usually use this in procedures that require a lot of time, when a patient has dental anxiety, or when a patient cannot control their movements well.
Getting sedated during treatment does not always mean the patient is unconscious. Some types of sedation are intended only to make patients feel less anxious. Dentists put the patient in a sleep-like state, which means they may still remember or feel the dental treatment.
If you are looking to get dental treatment but have dental anxiety, you may always contact a dental office. They can give you a specific answer on how much does a sedation dentistry cost.
The fees for sedation dentistry depends on the dentist, the insurance coverage, and geographic location. Generally, the price ranges from a few hundred dollars but can total over a thousand dollars based on the type of sedation.
Types of Sedation Dentistry and Average Costs
Your dentist can administer varying degrees of sedation depending on what the patient needs. The four types of sedation dentistry include:
- Oral Sedatives – It uses medications like diazepam given to relieve anxiety. It doesn’t provide pain relief, so a local anesthetic is still needed. The price for this can cost $150 to $1000 or more based on the type of medication, the amount used, the dentist, and location.
- Intravenous Sedation – Using IV sedation also doesn’t provide pain relief, and a local anesthetic will be administered as well. This type can cost around $250 to $900 or more depending on the dentist, location, and how long the appointment lasts.
- Inhalation Sedation – In this type of sedation, dentists usually use nitrous oxide, commonly known as laughing gas. It provides slight sedation and costs around $25 to $100 based on the amount used, the dentist, and the geographical location.
- General Anesthesia – With general anesthesia, the patient is completely unconscious. During the dental procedure, the patient is unaware of their surroundings, so a local anesthetic is not needed. Typical costs are around $300 to $1000 or more, depending on the type of procedure.
Common Questions About Sedation Dentistry
Beyond, how much does sedation dentistry cost, you probably have some questions you want to be answered regarding sedation dentistry and specialty dental services before visiting a dental clinic.
1. Is sedation dentistry included in dental insurance?
Dental insurance usually includes dental procedures and medically-required sedation. However, it doesn’t often cover the cost of sedation in cases of anxious patients. That means if you have dental phobia and want to be sedated, you’ll likely have to pay for it out of pocket.
2. Is sedation dentistry safe?
It is generally safe as long as performed by a qualified and experienced dentist. Like all medical and dental procedures, it does carry some risks. But that’s why your dentist will screen you first.
3. How much sedative will I have to take?
The answer to this question depends on you. It depends on the type of dental procedure you will be undergoing and how anxious you are. Don’t worry, though, because you can get light, moderate, or deep sedation for any level of anxiety.
Don’t Be Nervous About Sedation Dentistry
Going to the dentist may be overwhelming sometimes, but don’t worry. The right dentist can put your mind at ease and give you the right sedative.
So you know have a rough answer to the question ‘how much does sedation dentistry cost?’ The answer varies, and it is best to contact your dentist for more information.